Sunday, June 17, 2012

Two tiny minutes ten years ago

Ten years ago today, I walked into La Griglia, a nice Italian restaurant in Houston, for a blind date that my sister-in-law's aunt had set up. As I walked in, the maƮtre d' walked up to me and said, "Ms Lunt, Mr Hooper will be here in just a couple of minutes.". Being a freak about timliness, I almost left. After all, our date was supposed to be at 7pm and it was 7pm! However, because I was still in shock that the host seemed to know who I was even though I had never been there, I decided to wait. True to word, Mr Hooper walked in at 7:02pm. (I know as Scott reads this, he rolls his eyes. Ha!)

We sat and had dinner and wine and visited for several hours. We went from the up-scale Italian place to an old hole in the wall beer and jukebox joint (Kay's) down the road. There we sat, drank beer, played music on the jukebox, and talked for several more hours until the bar closed. I think "Me and Bobby McGee" by Janis Joplin was played more that night by us than it has ever been before or after that date.

About a year and a half later, we married at the ranch. We have had wonderful adventures and two kids. I simply can't imagine how dull or unhappy my life would be if I hadn't waited those two tiny minutes. Ten years later, my partner in crime still makes me laugh hysterically and is the most involved father and husband in the world. He always has my back. Always.

So here's to the ten wonderful years with Scott. I can't wait to see what the next ten years will bring, but I bet it is wild, fun, and entertaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment