Saturday, July 28, 2012

The beginning of the Olympics



The Olympics has now officially kicked off in London. There were several fun events leading up to it.

First the torch traveled across England and we were fortunate enough to live about a 3 minute walk from relay. We walked down the street one morning to see it. Lots of festivities around and excitement was in the air. There was a small parade leading the torch. It was exciting to see this and I'm happy we were able to go.



Yesterday morning, the bell ringers rang Big Ben 40 times over three minutes, while people across London rang their handbells alongside. Everyone here is so excited that it has become contagious. I admit to being the scrooge about the Olympics knowing it was going to make the traffic worse than it already is and the tube more stinky and crowded during rush hour (which is hard to believe!). But because of all the positive energy and enthusiasm, I will proudly admit, I am fully on board! I even stayed up until 1am to watch the full opening ceremonies.

Scott has secured tickets for us to an event and tomorrow I think we will probably go watch the Olympic bike race that goes very near to the house with the kids. I find myself pulling for both the USA and the UK (and admittedly cheered inside when the Dutch walked in the procession). I hope it is fun and safe for everyone. So far, it has certainly been inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment