Sunday, November 25, 2012

Being thankful

Since we moved to Europe/United Kingdom, our Thankgsiving holidays have checked the box but haven't been over the top great.

Until this year.

This year we hosted a Thanksgiving holiday that included people from seven different countries, about 40 years age difference between the youngest adult to the oldest adult, and an array of different occupations.  Most had never participated in an American Thanksgiving.  I don't think anyone was disappointed in the array of food or drink.

Appreciating that we were short on space, Scott hired in a couple servers to help, and an entire Thanksgivings-worth of serving ware.  The feast was all homemade.  The turkey was so large that it wouldn't fit in our oven whole and had to be quartered to cook.  The best part:  the rental dishes didn't have to be washed.  They were stacked and picked up the very next morning.  I am wondering why we can't have rental dishes everyday!

We had such a great time with all of these new found friends.  It is indeed another reason I am sad to be leaving.

Below is a picture of what we started with.  In the midst of eating, drinking and socializing, I failed to get a picture of all of our guests.  I have it in my mind though as one of our best ex-pat holidays.

As Thanksgiving does, it reminded me of the things I am thankful for.  I am thankful for this opportunity to live abroad with my family, to experience other cultures, other people, and other ways of life.  I am thankful my kids have had the opportunity to see so much and understand that different is quite okay, and in many cases better.  I am thankful the friendships we have developed over here, both at work and socially.  It is bittersweet to have this particular holiday as our last in England.  Having said that, I am thankful to have plans to return to our ranch and see our friends and family in a few short weeks...

No comments:

Post a Comment